Monday, September 2, 2013

Craft-tastic Tuesdays- Crib Bedding Series 2 of 4 - Minky Blanket

This is the second post in the Crib Bedding Series

Well, the first thing I did when my fabric arrived was start on this blanket and quite honestly, this was the one part of the project I was most scared of.
I started out thinking this was going to be easy. Then I read, and I read, and I read blog posts about how to sew minky blankets. Next thing you know, I didn't really want to make this anymore. The more you read about sewing minky, the more fear you will gain. This blanket was so ridiculously easy, I had to laugh at myself when I finished for ever having doubts.
Minky is not something to be scared of.
The advice I will give is to make friends with your pins and a basting glue stick (or spray, or tape). I had no trouble sewing and I didn't even use my walking foot (we aren't friends yet). My fabric didn't shift or bunch, and the basting worked so well that I figure I may not have even needed the pins (don't test it though).
So, without further ado, here comes the tutorial...

Materials Required for this project:
1 1/2 yards of 42" quilting cotton
1 yard of 60" wide Minky Fabric in a coordinating colour
Basting Glue Stick or similar product (optional)
Pins, thread, and basic sewing notions



Use a washable basting product and a lot of pins to tame that minky.
The first thing you are going to want to start with cutting your cotton fabric. I cut mine an inch longer and wider than my desired finished size. I believe I went with 30" x 40" but as the blanket is with a sleeping baby, accuracy will have to wait. I cut the cotton first and then laid it out right sides together over the uncut minky. I lined the cotton up against two edges and one edge at a time I basted and pinned all the way around before trimming off the excess minky fabric.
Pinning your minky every 1 to 2 inches was probably the most common advice on all those blog posts, as it was in all of them. I pinned every inch and a half. If you don't use the basting glue you will likely have more slipping and bunching of the fabric.

Slow and steady wins the race.
 You are now ready to start sewing. I did a test scrap up of both fabrics and decided that I would use a medium length stitch (setting was 2 out of 4 on my machine). Go slow, especially if you are one to sew right over your pins. You need to use a minimum half inch seam allowance. Leave an opening on one side of about 6 inches for turning and top stitching.

If you basted with glue you will need to pull at the seams to release the glues hold.
 Trim your corners, turn and top stitch. Make sure you pin the opening shut, keeping the pins no more than 2 inches apart. I chose to use a zigzag for my top stitch, however, a straight or decorative stitch is fine here as well.
The finished project. Toss it in the wash to get rid of all that basting glue and enjoy your handy work. I am going to have to sew some up for the boys next. I saw envy, when they felt the minky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, and always read them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...