Monday, July 8, 2013

Advice for Those Considering Cloth


If you are considering using cloth diapers, you are about to be overwhelmed, if you aren't already. Your going to start researching, and you will find so much information, every site contradicting the last, people insisting they know what you need. Now take a breath and relax.
Cloth diapering is not an exact science, you can't really do it wrong, Worst case scenario you over spend on diapering extras you didn't need. Maybe baby got a minor diaper rash because you didn't use the right soap. But life goes on.
The advice I would like to give you is this. No one is right and no one is wrong, so find the diapering philosophy that fits. The biggest place this come into play is in diaper washing. I am laid back, I found a simple routine. I read somewhere the breastfed baby poop is water soluble, so I don't rinse my diapers, I just toss the whole wet pail (minus the pail) in the machine spin, rinse, then wash like normal, with regular detergent. Did I just horrify anyone? Maybe my method isn't for you and that is ok.
How many diapers do you really need? That is entirely up to you. Your baby is likely to mess a dozen diapers a day so how often are you able to wash them? Do you want to have a lot of extra or just enough. I say the more the merrier now that I am sewing my own, but I brought my baby into this world with just 18 diapers to start and a daily wash routine and we did just fine. Not ambitious enough for that, that's ok.
If you are about to start cloth diapering, find some like minded parents that are already cloth diapering and get your advice there. Just take it with a grain of salt and you will do great.
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, and always read them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...